Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Can elocution lessons help me acquire a full standard american accent?

Reasons why I need to get rid of my accent





- interview


-speech|||If you are over the age of about 12 or 13, when you learn another language, you will always have at least some "accent."





"It is acceptable, but not as good as I once thought it should be. The thought of “losing my accent” (or “overcoming” it, some might say) swirled around my head for many years in the 1970s and 80s. Regrettably, I never got around to it. Speaking with an accent, you know, is essentially inevitable when you learn to speak the second language after puberty. "





I've been in the "language-teaching business" for almost 30 years now, and this fact is common knowledge among those in my field. The cut-off period (around age 13) is sometimes called "hitting the Chomsky Button" since it was the renowned linguist Noah Chomsky who first documented this.





But, on the positive side, why do you think you NEED to acquire a "full, standard American accent?"


Most people find listening to accented English to be a pleasant and interesting experience.|||Elocution probably won't help you. If you have an accent already, it is difficult to lose it.





The Pimsleur language tapes use a system of listen/repeat to get new speakers to speak like a native (that is, with a native accent) for various languages.





I would suggest that you pick a specific american accent and listen/repeat as much audio dialog from that accent as you can.|||I don't know if it works for American.





The English can always recognise if someone has had Elocution lessons. It sounds so false|||Yes proper and sincere practice will help you achieve your goal,whatever it may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment