Saturday, November 19, 2011

How do I acquire the standard American accent?

I'm a learner of English as a second language, and I'd like to speak English like a native American speaker. Is this possible?





I know there is no single American accent, but many. However I've been told the accent of the midwestern United States is considered by most as the standard. (Is this true?).





What advice (or resource to recommend) do you have for someone like me, a foreign learner, wanting to speak English like a native speaker?





Or is it simply impossible?|||"I've been told the accent of the midwestern United States is considered by most as the standard. (Is this true?)"





Yes, it is. :)





"What advice (or resource to recommend) do you have for someone like me, a foreign learner, wanting to speak English like a native speaker? Or is it simply impossible?"





My advice is to watch movies. A lot of movies. Listen to American podcasts, news broadcasts, and pronunciation clips online. If possible, get a speech therapist to help you gain the accent. It's not impossible, but it will be hard.





You see, at about age two, your brain throws out any foreign sounds that you aren't using on a day-to-day basis. That's why anyone older than two who's learning a foreign language will usually have an accent, unless they're completely immersed in the language.





Keep trying, and good luck!|||Yup, it's usually known as the standard.





If you want to learn, the fastest way I can think of is to listen to a recording of a Midwestern accent and try to emulate it. You could also take speech classes, I'm sure they offer them in some areas.





If you plan on living in America, I suggest living in a midwestern state. You'll pick it up without even knowing it that way ;)|||I think it's possible. I am from the Midwest and I have been told that my English is standard from friends from Europe. I would watch CNN, if possible, or rent American movies. Most major news broadcasts use Midwestern style English, or standard, if you will.





Good luck! With practice, you will get the hang of it.|||It's definitely not impossible!


I recommend that you visit your local library-- many will have resources on accent reduction/accent correction. Some may be targeted specifically to speakers of your native language.





Take a look at some of the options that Amazon has, for example: http://tinyurl.com/6meeao





If you go to your local library, look for items that include DVDs or CDs so you can listen %26amp; learn.





There are also a good number of websites that focus on speaking skills for non-native speakers. Here's one that is all about phonetics: http://www.uiowa.edu/~acadtech/phonetics/





Best of luck!|||i'm from california so i guess according to you i have about the most standard american accent and i do beleive that it is the most standard (maybe that's just because it's the way i speak) but most people think it is because it's the way people talk in movies! there are a lot of websights like http://www.americanaccent.com/ and so on about how to speak with this accent. if this specific websight is no help, google american accents or something like it and you'll find something that'll help.

No comments:

Post a Comment