Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I got an American Standard Strat and I want to change my pickups. What would you recommend?

And if you have some more time, I want to change my pickguard as well to black (I have white) so I could go for a white guitar, black pickguard look. Could you tell me if that'd look good?|||I've got a black pickguard/white body bass, and I've always thought it looked cool.





Pickups....there's a million choices there. It really depends on what you want and what style of music you like to play.





Most of the guitars I own are humbucker or P-90 based. I bought a VG Strat a couple of years ago for the altered-tuning function on it. I've never really been a fan of single coil pickups, so I changed them out for Duncans.





Seymour Duncan sells a set of 3 pickups call the Everything Strat. There's a '59 for the neck, a Jeff Beck for the bridge, and a Duck Bucker for the middle position. The '59 and JB are actually humbuckers in a single coil size. I wired them up so that they coil tap in positions 2 and 4, so I can still get that out-of-phase sound that a standard Strat will give, and no hum in the other 3 positions.





In fact, I'm changing a friends Strat out and installing the same package tomorrow night.





If you want to retain your Fender sound, but get rid of the hum, Fender does have "noiseless" single coils that use specially placed magnetics to minimize interference.





Beyond that, just check out www.seymourduncan.com, www.dimarzzio.com, and others to get some ideas.





Greetings from Austin, TX





Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment