Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Do Chicagoans realize they have an accent different from Standard American?

Chicagoans have (from what I can tell) about three distinct accents (other than African American and Hispanic accents.)





They sound nothing like what is considered "Standard American" like what one hears usually in the movies or on TV.





I live in Chicago and being from The South I am aware of my accent but I find Chicagoans don't realize I could pick their accents out of a crowd. I can tell who here is native and who isn't.





Just interesting I think. Chicago? What do you think?|||Yes Im from burbs of Illinois and I notice that Chicago accent it sounds kind of nasally|||Many areas in America have distinctive accents.





Most natives of places that have these accents don't realize it because everyone else sounds like them. Just like where you're from.





I don't think this is just a "Chicago" thing





Its everywhere. America is a melting pot. There is no "Standard American" accent|||Don't know about Chicago, but in Texas the thick "Texas" accents are from the people who arrived recently. "Why" is a mystery the natives wonder about frequently.|||wow! i always wanted a accent that people could notice...... i am flattered. go chicago baby!|||I can tell a Chicago accent, too. You just gave me an idea look for the question I'm going to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment