Saturday, November 12, 2011

Is a sticky tone pot normal for all American Standard Stratocasters?

I had a quick go of a beautiful Olympic white strat in my local music shop the other day. All in all it was a very nice guitar. One thing I did notice though is the high end tone ( I think it's that one - The bottom tone pot ) got stuck when you rolled it back to one. It's not a big problem but I was just wondering do all American Standard Strats do it?





Thanks for your help!|||I think what you're experiencing here is the no-load tone controls found on some of the better Fender instruments, amongst them the American Strat.





These have the option to bypass the tone control all together. There's a position on these pots which eliminates the signal path to ground that exists with standard pots. By doing this, the only load on the pickup is the volume potentiometer. The reduced load allows more power output from the pickups - reducing high frequencies that typically is "bled" to ground when the signal passes through a tone pot.





A good idea when you encounter something in a store might be to ask the people working there - they tend to be quite knowledgeable ... just a thought :-)|||Never had a problem with mine and I've had it 29 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment